AARP slated to offer free tax preparation assistance

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide sites across North Dakota open next week to help people prepare their 2016 tax returns. This free service is available to low- and moderate-income taxpayers of all ages with special attention to those 60 and older.

You do not have to be an AARP member to take advantage of the service.

IRS-certified volunteers are trained to assist in filing accurate returns and help taxpayers receive all of the benefits, credits, and deductions to which they are entitled. All AARP Tax-Aide sites e-file returns, also at no cost, which helps taxpayers get refunds quickly. Every taxpayer’s return is quality reviewed and all information is kept confidential. 

Last year in North Dakota 9,795 people were helped with their federal and state tax returns. This year more than 100 volunteer preparers and client facilitators will staff nine sites across the state.

Communities with Tax-Aide offices are:

• Bismarck – Senior Center, 1:30-6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday, by appointment only beginning Feb. 1. You can make your own appointment by going to or by calling 701-751-4074.

• Dickinson – Public Library, 1-4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, beginning Feb. 1.

Others include: Fargo (Olivet Lutheran Church, , 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday and Friday; Hjemkomst Center in Moorhead; Grand Forks (Campbell Library); Mandan (Morton-Mandan Public Library); Minot (Minot American Legion); Wahpeton (Community Center); and West Fargo (Faith Lutheran Church).

Individuals should ensure that they have all of the documents they need to file before coming to a Tax-Aide site, including Social Security cards, photo IDs, and a copy of last year’s tax returns.

AARP Tax-Aide sites will remain open through the April filing deadline.

AARP Tax-Aide began in 1968. It is the nation’s largest, free, volunteer-run tax preparation service, where volunteers commit their time and talents to help their neighbors. The AARP Foundation administers AARP Tax-Aide in cooperation with the IRS.

Share this post