Adele Berg

A private funeral service for Adele Berg, 87, of Dickinson, will be, Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at Stevenson Funeral Home in Dickinson with Pastor Lisa Lewton officiating. 


Adele Berg copy


Burial will take place in the Killdeer Cemetery.

Visitation for Adele will be 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm, Tuesday, May 3rd at Stevenson Funeral Home.

Adele passed Friday, April 29, 2016 at St. Benedict’s Health Center in Dickinson.

Adele came into this world on May 7, 1928, born to William and Pearl Turgi on a farm 18 miles north of Bemidji, MN, where she and her five siblings were raised.  Adele attended Long Lake Country School and at the age of 10, she went to live with an aunt in Bemidji to continue with her education.  Adele graduated from Bemidji High at the age of 16, at the top of her class.  (She also earned a basketball letter playing as a point guard -bet you didn’t see that one coming).  Following graduation, Adele went to work as a nurse’s aide and when she turned 18, she took a part-time job working weekends at a small café across the street from Paul Bunyan Park in Bemidji.  It was in this café, that a young man from western ND walked in, struck up a conversation with Adele and before he knew what was happening, she had him wrapped around her finger, so much so that he took a job in Grand Forks just to be closer to her.  After a short courtship, Adele knew she was not going to let him get away.  In 1947, they drive out to Watford City, ND and on September 27th, Adele became Mrs. Herman Berg.  After a very cold winter in Grand Forks, Herman got a job with McKenzie Electric and they lived at the Hillman and Bernice Berg farm.  It was here in 1949 that their first son, Sherman was born.  In 1950, McKenzie Electric transferred this young family to Killdeer. In one trip, everything was moved with the help of Charles Rogne and his cattle truck.  In 1951, son DuWane arrived and in 1955, Adele got the nickname ‘Pudge’ (go figure) as twins-Richard and Raymond joined the family. In 1962, son Darryl was born.  After 6 years of trying to keep track of the twins and then having one baby, she said she felt like she was packing around a car battery wrapped in a blanket.  There were no more babies (hoss was one solid kid).  Adele was a wife, mother, homemaker and the best darned helper Herman could get.  There were many long nights when he was out on power outages and Adele would play phone tag with the area farmers and ranchers to find out who did or did not have power (good memories for all).  Adele was an avid reader, enjoyed long drives in the country, coffee with the girls and beating Herman at rummy.  She was so proud of her grand-daughters, Cort and Brit.  She just lit up when she saw her great-grandson, Janson.  Adele and Herman spent 53 years in their home and after Herman passed, Adele continued to live there for 9 years before moving to St. Benedict’s in Dickinson.

Preceding Adele in death are her parents; brother, Bill (Mary Arnold) Turgi; sisters, Mary (Don) Saar, Elenor (Pete) Amies, Betty (Kenneth) Berg; Kathy Wahus; husband, Herman of 55 years; sons, Sherman and DuWane.

Adele is survived by her sons, Richard of Dickinson; Raymond (Linda Lawson) of Bismarck, Darryl (Diane Trotter) of Killdeer and their daughters, Courtney (Erik) and son Janson Pankowski of Dickinson, Brittney (attending BSC); brother-in-law, Lynn Wahus of Watford City; numerous nephews and nieces scattered from coast to coast.  Adele also leaves behind a very special friend, Beverly Mittelstadt who was a godsend after Herman’s passing. (We thank you Bev.)

Remembrances and condolences may be shared with the family at www.stevensonfuneralhome

Stevenson Funeral Home & Crematory –Dickinson, ND

Share this post