Grassy Butte, Killdeer Ambulance part ways (updated)

Grassy Butte residents filled the ambulance board meeting Monday. Herald photos / Brad Mosher
Daryl Dukart (above) looks up Monday evening to discuss how to arrange for a transition where the Killdeer Ambulance Service could remove its equipment from where it was stationed in the Grassy Butte service area.

By Brad Mosher
The Herald

After about a year and with some contentiousness Grassy Butte residents were successful in getting separation from the Killdeer Ambulance Service Monday evening.

The meeting of the board of the directors for the ambulance service was marked by a mass resignation when eight members of the Quick Response Unit (QRU) submitted their papers to Killdeer Ambulance officials.

According to members of the unit, the resignations were done to help break the ties with the Killdeer Ambulance Service and enable the McKenzie County Commissioners to incorporate the Grassy Butte residents into their network of first responders.

The discussion came to a stop after almost an hour when board president Daryl Dukart announced it was over and that the board would make arrangements to suspend their service to Grassy Butte by 8 a.m. Tuesday morning.

At that time, the board would also have financial breakdowns to establish the costs and investments by the ambulance service, in addition to what the costs would be to have Grassy Butte and McKenzie County become fully operational and responsible for their service.

For Jenny Jaggi, a former paramedic with the Killdeer Ambulance Service, it looked like the separation from the service will take place, allowing the residents to merge with the emergency network in McKenzie County.

It is like family,” Jaggi said about the meeting.

Grassy Butte has been looking to separate from Killdeer for about a year, Jaggi explained.

With the resignations and the separation, the responders in Grassy Butte who were also part of the local fire department could still responderbut will not be able to do advanced medical care, she said.

We can still respond as firefighters,” she said. “We can just do basic life support,” the paramedic said. “That is just until it is resolved.”Jaggi said that she hoped it would take no longer than a week or two to become operational again. We have been in touch with the state, so it should happen pretty quick.”

For Vicki Berreth, the situation was resolved for both parties.

Berreth said that the biggest obstacle for the separation was the amount of misinformation.

Killdeer was perfectly happy to let it go and let them run their own (in Grassy Butte),” she said.

There is a lot that Dunn County has invested in this. I think this is going to work wonderfully,” she added.

There was a lot of emotion… but you have to take the emotion out of it,” Berreth said.

Acting as a mediator during Monday’s board meeting Vicki Berreth helped to keep everyone focused on what needed to be done and how to arrange it for Grassy Butte to cut ties with the Killdeer Ambulance Service. Herald photos / Brad Mosher
Jenny Jaggi discussed (right) what the residents needed from Killdeer. Herald photos / Brad Mosher

Share this post

Post Comment